For a second consecutive season the Colorado Avalanche will be thrust into the elements, as the NHL has announced the club will take part in the NHL Outdoors at Lake Tahoe weekend in late February.
The Avs will meet up with the Vegas Golden Knights on Saturday, Feb. 20, in one of two outdoor games slated to take place within a slapshot proximity to North America’s largest alpine lake on the border of California and Nevada.
The Bridgestone NHL Outdoors Saturday game between Colorado and Vegas will take place on the lakefront 18th fairway of the Edgewood Tahoe Resort golf course. The Honda NHL Outdoors Sunday will take place the following day, Feb. 21, and feature the Philadelphia Flyers and Boston Bruins.
Previously, the Avalanche played outdoor games at Coors Field – in February 2016 – and at the Air Force Academy last season before the league suspended play due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Each of the four teams will wear their Adidas Reverse Retro ADIZERO Authentic jerseys during the event. Colorado’s sweater features a throwback to the Quebec Nordiques original logo.
“We are excited to be chosen by the NHL to play in such a unique setting as Lake Tahoe,” said Avalanche general manager Joe Sakic in a release. “Lake Tahoe is one of the most beautiful areas in the world and a perfect spot for an outdoor game.
“Although we wish our great fans could be there in person, we know they will enjoy watching what will be a great weekend of hockey.”
- If I were GM of the Rockies: How to turn Colorado into a contender
- 60 Seconds: After this weekend, it's clear the Broncos are a long ways off
- The top 20 Colorado sports stories of 2020: Nos. 6-10
- Rapoport: Teams have 'started calling' Texans about Deshaun Watson
- NFL will lean on pro days in lieu of 2021 combine workouts
- Report: Von Miller is under criminal investigation in Parker