As part of their plan to fill air time during the coronavirus quarantine, CBS Sports HQ has been airing a mock draft today. During the selection process, they had the Broncos taking wide receiver Henry Ruggs III at No. 15 overall.
Given the way the first week of free agency panned out, with John Elway filling a lot of Denver’s other needs, the choice makes sense. The team still needs to address the shortcomings at receiver.
Outside of Courtland Sutton, the Broncos don’t have a proven wideout on their roster. Players like DaeSean Hamilton, Tim Patrick and Juwann Winfree are probably better suited to be No. 3, 4 or 5 on the depth chart at the moment, as opposed to No. 2. So going with a receiver in the first round makes sense.
The pundits at CBS Sports agreed. If the Broncos go that direction when the real draft rolls around on April 23, Denver will receive high marks.
— CBS Sports HQ (@CBSSportsHQ) March 23, 2020
If the Broncos go this route, their offense will be stacked with young talent. Drew Lock, Phillip Lindsay, Noah Fant, Sutton and Ruggs would give Denver five big-time skill-position players on rookie contracts, setting the franchise up well for the future.
- Rapid Reaction: As expected, the Avalanche defeat the Coyotes 3-0
- With added weight and more to prove, is Phillip Lindsay a changed man?
- Detailing how the CFB postponements impact the NFL offseason
- Ed McCaffrey, Solomon Wilcots break down expectations for the Broncos
- Rockies hold on to beat the Diamondbacks in a wild one at Coors Field
- A new rule is benefitting the Rockies, powering their hot start