There were certainly plenty of positives. That was the good news to emerge from Drew Lock’s first career start in the NFL.
In the first quarter, the rookie threw a pair of touchdowns to Courtland Sutton and staked the Broncos to a 14-point lead. He looked poised and under control, buying time to make plays and keep the offense moving.
There were also a few negatives. Perhaps the Broncos coaching was more to blame for the paltry output after the initial 15 minutes of play, but Denver’s offense once again went into a shell after a good start.
In the end, though, the Broncos got a win, beating the Chargers 23-20 on a last-second field goal by Brandon McManus. And the rookie quarterback is off to a 1-0 start in Denver.
The final numbers weren’t great, but they were solid:
12/1/19 vs. Los Angeles | Win 23-20
18/28, 134 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT, 84.5 rating
Here’s how those stats compare to the debut of other notable Broncos quarterbacks:
9/4/83 at Pittsburgh | Win 14-10
1/8, 14 YDS, 0 TD, 1 INT, 0.0 RTG
9/13/99 vs. Miami | Loss 38-21
24/40, 270 YDS, 3 TD, 0 INT, 105.2 RTG
12/3/06 vs. Seattle | Loss 23-20
10/21, 143 YDS, 2 TD, 2 INT, 62.3 RTG
12/19/10 at Oakland | Loss 39-23
8/16, 138 YDS, 1 TD, 0 INT, 100.5 RTG
11/22/15 at Chicago | Win 17-15
20/27, 250 YDS, 2 TD, 0 INT, 127.1 RTG
9/8/16 vs. Carolina | Win 21-20
18/26, 178 YDS, 1 TD, 2 INT, 69.1 RTG
10/9/16 vs. Atlanta | Loss 23-16
23/35, 223 YDS, 1 TD, 1 INT, 81.0 RTG
11/3/19 vs. Cleveland | Win 24-19
12/20, 193 YDS, 2 TD, 0 INT, 125.6 RTG
- Could younger NBA teams benefit from the long break and create upsets?
- The Drive: Drew Brees and Jake Fromm issue apologies
- Elevator Pitch: As Stokley vacations, Bye touts his partner's work ethic
- Around the AFC West: Tyreek Hill could be even more dangerous in 2020
- Connelly says Nuggets are "excited and ready" to make noise in Orlando
- 60 Seconds with Cecil: Lack of joint practices in NFL 'disappointing'