On September 9, 1960, the Broncos played in the upstart American Football League’s first-ever game, beating the Patriots 13-10 in Boston. On September 9, 2019, Denver will kick off the 60th season in franchise history when they travel to Oakland to take another of the AFL’s original teams, the Raiders.
Sixty seasons. Starting in 1960. It’s all too symmetrical and perfect not to celebrate.
From that first season through today, thousands of players have donned the orange and blue (and even the brown and yellow). Plenty came and went, having forgettable careers in the Mile High City. But a select few stood out. And a handful of Broncos became legends, in this town and beyond.
Who falls into that category? In the coming weeks, 1043TheFan.com will count down the 60 greatest players in Broncos history.
Here’s the list, in increments of five:
- UPDATED | 104.3 The Fan / ESPN Denver 1600 play-by-play: Feb. 12-17
- 60 Seconds with Cecil: 'Wise' for Broncos to not send scouts to Combine
- Around the AFC West: Big offseason moves loom in the division
- Elevator Pitch: When you come at the king, you best not miss
- The Drive: Zach Bye defeats Tyler Polumbus in basketball