On September 9, 1960, the Broncos played in the upstart American Football League’s first-ever game, beating the Patriots 13-10 in Boston. On September 9, 2019, Denver will kick off the 60th season in franchise history when they travel to Oakland to take another of the AFL’s original teams, the Raiders.
Sixty seasons. Starting in 1960. It’s all too symmetrical and perfect not to celebrate.
From that first season through today, thousands of players have donned the orange and blue (and even the brown and yellow). Plenty came and went, having forgettable careers in the Mile High City. But a select few stood out. And a handful of Broncos became legends, in this town and beyond.
Who falls into that category? In the coming weeks, 1043TheFan.com will count down the 60 greatest players in Broncos history.
Here’s the list, in increments of five:
- Ferguson: Undisciplined nature sinks Broncos again vs. Packers
- Stokley: Broncos need better play defensively, avoid mistakes
- 60 Seconds with Cecil: Evident that the Broncos lack talent, depth
- The Broncos are to blame for the Garett Bolles fiasco
- Brandon Marshall on the current state of the Broncos, his NFL future
- 104.3 The Fan / ESPN Denver 1600 play-by-play: Sept. 20-23