In the battle of Team Paxton versus Team Trevor, the winner is … both.
At least for the moment, third-year pro Trevor Siemian and 2016 first-round pick Paxton Lynch are listed as co-starters on the Denver Broncos first official depth chart of 2017 released on Monday.
Despite listed “Trevor Siemian OR Paxton Lynch” and the incumbent starter out-playing the latter, the roster update falls in line with what general manager John Elway said this weekend, as reported by 9News’ Mike Klis, that the quarterback race won’t begin until the preseason games.
Denver’s first preseason tilt kicks off on Thursday night in Chicago against the Bears.
Further down the depth chart sit rookies Kyle Sloter and Chad Kelly, the latter of which currently resides on the non-football injury list with an injured wrist and knee.
Other notable revelations from the depth chart release:
· Rookie first-rounder Garett Bolles sits as the Broncos starting left tackle, ahead of former third-round pick Ty Sambrailo.
· Free agent acquisitions Menelik Watson (right tackle), Ron Leary (right guard), and Domata Peko (nose tackle) all earned starting roles
· Guard Allen Barbre, whom the Broncos traded last month, sits behind Max Garcia at left guard.
· Jamaal Charles, who signed Broncos signed after being released by the Kansas City Chiefs earlier this offseason, is among five running backs behind starter C.J. Anderson and backup Devontae Booker — though Booker is out with a wrist injury.
· Rookie wide receiver Isaiah McKenzie will be first up returning punts
· Rookie pass rusher DeMarcus Walker sits on the second team behind Von Miller.
Follow digital content producer Johnny Hart on Twitter: @JohnnyHart7.
- Should Kelly, not Keenum or Cousins, be the Broncos next quarterback?
- Pritchard: 'Game over' for Broncos with Cousins as Vikings won't tag Keenum
- Clough: DT could again be top-end WR for Broncos with good QB play
- Schlereth: National media giving Denver Broncos a ‘hall pass’
- LISTEN – Klee: Eustachy still CSU Rams coach if win-loss record flipped